Diane di Prima

I wanted to mention that this Friday and Saturday are a couple of rare opportunities to see and hear a reading by an original Beat poet. Diane di Prima is in NYC for the first time in a decade (she lives in California) and is reading at the Grad Center in midtown on Friday. The details are below, and some extra information about di Prima’s life. Perhaps I’ll see you there.

Oct. 15, Fri., 6 pm, Segal Theatre, CUNY Grad Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York.
Join the iconic poet and activist Diane di Prima for a rare New York City appearance. After her reading, Graduate Center Professor Ammiel Alcalay will engage her in a conversation about her work and life. Over the span of her remarkable career, di Prima has published 43 books of poetry and prose and, as per Allen Ginsberg, “broke barriers of race-class identity and delivered a major body of verse brilliant in its particularity.” She is presently the Poet Laureate of San Francisco. A two-volume Lost & Found chapbook selection of her lectures on poets H.D. and Robert Duncan will be available for purchase on the night of the event.

ALSO:

Oct. 16, Sat. 1:00–3:45 pm, The Bowery Poetry Club, 308 Bowery, New York
After reading, there will be Q & A with the audience.

Diane di Prima was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1934, a second generation American of Italian descent. She began writing at the age of seven, and committed herself to a life as a poet at the age of fourteen. She lived and wrote in Manhattan for many years, where she became known as an important writer of the Beat movement. She co-founded the New York Poets Theatre, and founded the Poets Press, which published the work of many new writers of the period. Together with Amiri Baraka (LeRoi Jones) she edited the literary newsletter, The Floating Bear (1961-1969). In 1966 she moved to upstate New York where she participated in Timothy Leary’s psychedelic community at Millbrook.

For the past thirty-four years she has lived and worked in northern California, where she took part in the political activities of the Diggers, and wrote Revolutionary Letters. In the 1970’s she began her epic poem Loba. of which Parts 1-8 were published in 1978. Her work has been translated into at least twenty languages. In 1993, she received an Award for Lifetime Achievement in Poetry from the National Poetry Association. Her autobiographical memoir, Recollections of My Life as a Woman, was published by Viking in April 2001.

1.   buy stairlift

I absolutely love your site.. Great colors & theme. Did you develop this amazing site yourself?

Please reply back as I’m hoping to create my own personal blog and would like to find out where you got this from or what the theme is named. Appreciate it!

2.   buy cheap luxury perfume online

I am really loving the theme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems?

A number of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

3.   Frances

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on
    the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you,
    I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

4.   Omega3

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m
    absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

5.   buy best cheap stairlifts online

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was
    super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for inexperienced blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate
    it.

• Listening “Literature” implies a written text. But what about the audiotext? Why do we refer to the “audience” (from the Latin audiens, listening) of a literary work? This course is about listening to literature and reading performance. ____________________________________
  • Archives

• Meta

• Join the blog.

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.